But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them--yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me.

1 Cor 15:10 (Emphasis mine. As always.)

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Busy Weekends, Scrap Metal, and Pink Pants


We have some super sweet friends from our old church named David and Renee.  David was our worship leader when we went to Sienna Ranch Baptist before our move to Friendswood and their move to Massachusetts for David's doctoral program.  Of course when I say David was "our" worship pastor, I mean that Jason plays drums like he should be in Led Zeppelin, and I kinda sang mediokre.  Anyway....David and Renee are recording an original Christian album and asked Jason to play drums for their album.  Awesome, right??  So about 10 days ago we drove to OK City so Jason could play with David and Renee.  While we were there, I decided I would do absolutely all of the fun-filled things I could cram into one day with the kids, OKC style.  We did their Bricktown Water Taxi, went to the OKC Zoo (which was WAY better than the water taxi, FYI) and got ice cream...along with a gluttony of other junk food.  

Jack at the zoo.  Sarah is at the age where she will rarely pose for a picture, so she high-tailed it when she saw my phone come out.  



The OKC Zoo, which is actually quite awesome, has two daily giraffe feedings.  Basically you pay $3 for 3 leaves of romaine lettuce.  Of course Jack HAD to feed the giraffes, so he fed this 12 year old female.  He loved it...and this is the picture I got.  I think he's really just squinting into the sun, but the look of disgust as the giraffe sticks its tongue out is priceless!



We had taken the trailer up to OKC because on the way we stopped in Dallas to deliver some furniture to Chelsea and Liz, old ski team friends.  I knew that a few days later I was going to need to drive the trailer on my own to Fredericksburg, so I drove it for the last 30 minutes of our drive from OKC as practice.  When I got home, this is my mildy successful attempt at backing the trailer into the driveway. Trailer is perfectly straight.  Car is NOT.  Aw well, what can you expect from a virgin?




So I mentioned Fredericksburg.  My best friend through thick and think is Kelly Hunt.  We met in college when Kelly was a super thin Freshman and I was a loudish Sophomore.  Now Kelly is a super thin mother of one with one on the way, and I'm a loudish mother of two.  :)  Somehow we didn't manage to get a picture of us together on our girl's weekend to Fredericksburg last weekend, but I DID manage to take a picture of my beer.  Priorities people.  Priorities.  


Kelly asked me to refinish a rocking chair for her new little baby to go in their living room, and I managed to find the perfect one on Craigslist.  So on the way home from Fredericksburg, I stopped in Cypress to pick it up.  This thing is enormous and sturdy.  Here are my huge baby and I testing it out in my workshop/garage.


Beautiful baby in a bag.  Not much else to say about this one.  ;)


Don't you just love how Sarah had her arm on Jack's shoulder?  Such cute buddies, those two.  And of course, juice box and iPad, the two necessities.



Ok.  So This is a picture (taken on my phone in the dark) of the damage done to my car today.  We were out running errands this morning and were on the access road about to get on 288 in South Houston.  An Acura SUV ahead of me hit a piece of scrap metal that was on the road and it was thrown up into the air and hit my car.  It left 5 deep gouges on my wheel well and driver's side door.  At first I was totally ticked, but then I realized that God had absolutely and totally protected us.  That piece of metal hit my door with its corner about a foot below my window....I could have been impaled if circumstances were different: if I'd been in a smaller car, if a larger car had hit the metal, if I had been a little closer to the Acura.  So thank you God for my huge SUV and your protection.  :-)


And what does a mamma do when she is almost impaled (haha)?  She buys some awesome pink pants from Gap.  These pants were also kind of my reward for clothes shopping for my husband.  Let me describe this to you.  My husband is one of those men who wears 20% of his clothes 80% of the time.  I NEVER by him clothes anymore.  I will come home with polos or  button downs that I think are perfect, and then hang in the closet unworn until clothing donation day-and he continues to wear the same old clothes he has always worn.  So about 6 years ago I decided that if he needed new clothes, he would need to go and pick some out himself.  Well, he's been wearing the same clothes for 6 years.  Backfire.  SO, I went out on a limb and went to the mall to get him some new pants.  He had like three pairs of khakis that he wore to work all the time, so we were washing pants about three times a week.  It was time for some new khakis.  I go to Express and buy what I think will look good on him: tailored khakis.  BIG mistake.  NEVER buy Jason anything with the word "tailored" on the tag.  So, second trip to the mall, return the Express khakis and head to Gap for the trusty Classic fit. But with Ironman training, Jason is super slim.  32x34s were now too long because they fell too low on is hips.  So I buy 31x32s.  NEVER buy Jason 31s.  If he doesn't have two inches of movement up and down the waist on his pants, they're too tight.  So BACK to Gap today (all of this with two kids in tow mind you) to get the third set of khakis.  I think I finally got it with the 32x32s.  And the pink pants.  Awesome.


And real quick, here is my latest project: a triple dresser that the client wanted to add little legs and a new top to.  It's turning out really cute, but is a TON of work!  I'll be kind of glad when this one is out of my garage.  


1 comment:

Liz said...

We love the desk! Zach thinks its so fun to have his own space and it makes playing school all the more fun as well. Thanks friend! What a special thing.