But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them--yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me.

1 Cor 15:10 (Emphasis mine. As always.)

Friday, August 3, 2012

No Shame


I'm always on the hunt for a good deal on a new (to me) piece of furniture to refinish for myself or someone else.  I've gotten my stuff several ways: resale shops, antique stores, friends, and by answering ads on Craigslist.  Oh, Craigslist!!  I am amazed by some of the ads I see on Craigslist!  It seems that so many people have NO shame!  So I thought I might spend a little time penning  "Kelsey's Dos and Don'ts of Craigslist" to offer a little help on the off chance you might actually want to sell the item you're taking the time to advertise.

Craigslist Dos
1. DO include LOTS of pictures of what you're selling, from several angles.
2. DO research your item to see how other sellers are pricing similar things.
3. DO write a good description of your item.
4. DO have someone proofread your ad if you are grammatically challenged.
5. DO know a little about what you're selling, so when people ask you questions you can answer. (For example, the difference between solid wood and NOT solid wood.
6.  DO take down your ad AS SOON as you sell the item.
7.  DO clean up at least a LITTLE bit before you take the picture.

Craigslist Don'ts
1.  DON'T post a picture of your item covered in other junk.  I don't want to know that at one time your old sweats, a cat, and a 2 foot stack of newspapers were on top of the advertised dresser. (Yeah, that totally happened.)
2.  DON'T post a picture of your item that has a person in it.  Especially if that person is your husband reading the paper in his undershirt. (Yeah, that totally happened too.)
3.  DON'T grossly overprice your item and then offer no delivery and no help loading it into the purchaser's vehicle.  That's just plain rude.
4.  DON'T post a picture of your item in your garage, unless you're selling tools, a bike, a car, or boat.  Otherwise, at least take it inside for a minute to take the picture.
5.  DON'T post pictures you've taken on your cell phone!  WAY to hard to see.  And actually LOOK at your ad after posting it.  If the pictures are tiny, and 29 year old eyes need a magnifying glass to see them, redo the ad!
6.  DON'T write the words "no scams please" in your ad.  Seriously.  Do we really think the annoyingly dishonest people who run the Craigslist scams are going to see those three words in your ad and be like, "Oh, we can't scam her, she said 'please!'"

Here are a few things I've done recently:

Painted brown tables black and added sliver glaze for a client.  Also refinished desk in the background with Dark Walnut stain.



White Thomasville dresser from the 60s that I painted, distressed, and glazed for a client.  Also painted the pulls red for a pop of color.



Headboard under construction for Chelsea.  Made from an antique door.  Cut to size, framed, put on posts, and added molding.  I've painted and distressed it and plan to add dark gray glaze, possibly with a stencil in the center. (Thanks to Dad for the advice on this one!!)



No comments: