But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them--yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me.

1 Cor 15:10 (Emphasis mine. As always.)

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Birthday Boy, Mommy's Helper and ISR

Yesterday we had Jack's 5th birthday party combined with our 4th Annual Slip and Slide party.  It was such a good time..I always love to get together with great friends and enjoy a completely care-free day fuled by fun, laughs, and margaritas.  :-)

I am totally kicking myself though, because I didn't bust out my camera until most of Jack's sweet little friends had headed home.  I was spending too much time putting kid after kid on my back to silde them down to the end and wasn't even thinking about taking pictures.  UG!  But once I DID actually remember, here are some of the pictures I was able to get:

Nicole and sweet Caleb who just had his second birthday.  Poor guy hadn't slept all day at this point.  Parties hard, that one. 


"Fwing, fwing, fwing!"


Big brother giving sister a boost.  This is adorable to me.  Love those two.



I love this picture.  Jason and Jack look so similar here to me...the way they're built, how they're walking.  Too cool.  And Niko in the foreground with the lime green goggles is pretty sweet too.


Another cute one...Jack and Jason about to run towards the slide together.


"Joo! Joo! Joo!" 
(And btw, this was at least her third joo. Talk about sugar rush.)


Fwinging like a big girl.


So I mentioned in one of my more recent posts that Jack is helping me a lot in the garage with the furniture.  Here he is helping me paint table legs for the nightstand he wants for his room.  He wants the nightstand to be red and yellow.  We painted the legs yellow with red feet.  ...They kinda look like giant pencils...or maybe enormous matchsticks.  But I figure I'm not going to get in the way of his creative mojo by pointing out the goofiness of it.  ;)




CALLING ALL MOMS, DADS, GRANDPARENTS, ETC!!

About a month ago the kids and I went swimming at a neighbor's house.  My neighbor Amber has a daughter Macy who is 8 weeks older than Sarah. And Macy.  Can.  Swim!!  I'm not talking with floaties, water wings, or with a kick-board.  This is legit.  Macy can swim!  If she falls in the pool, she can swim.  If she jumps in the pool, she can swim.  If her mom throws her in the pool, she can swim.  No panicking, on her stomach kicking, rolling over to breathe, real-life baby swimming.  So what did I do?  Immediately signed Sarah up for ISR swimming lessons with the instructor Amber used for Macy.

These lessons are ah-mazing!  Sarah went into these lessons with absolutely no fear of the water, already able to kick and swim to me short distances from the steps of the pool.  But she had no idea how to get any breath while swimming.  If she were ever to have gotten into the pool without us noticing, the results would have been disastrous   

In ISR, the instructor works one-on-one with your child for 10 minute lessons every day, M-F, for about 6 weeks until they are able to master the swim-float method of rescue swimming.  I can NOT tell you how wonderful it is to have peace of mind while you are at the pool with your child!  If Sarah falls in (which has happened twice in the last week), she swims for  few kicks and then rolls over to breathe.  She can swim from one side of Nana's pool all the way to the other to get to the steps.  Sarah.  Can.  Swim!!

This is Sarah swimming to get to my hand during one of her lessons.


She h-a-t-e-d this day of lessons!  This was her summer clothes test day.  Since diapers weigh about 4 lbs when they're full, the instructor tests your child's ability to float and swim in both summer and winter clothes before they will let your child graduate.  The goal is to be sure that even if your child falls in the pool in the dead of winter in full winter gear, he or she will be able to float until you find them.



And here she is today.  She has gotten to the point now that she doesn't cry at all when she swims.  (At the start of lessons, she screamed like she was being kidnapped every time she got in the pool.) But in this video she's agitated with me because I had JUST made her do this swim across the pool, then I wanted to do it again to get it on video.  She's like, "Seriously Mom??!"

And don't you love Jack asking about dinner in the background.  Always worrying about food!!


So for real here people.  If you get ANYTHING at all from reading my blog EVER, please get this:  Sign your child up for ISR!!  



No comments: