But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them--yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me.

1 Cor 15:10 (Emphasis mine. As always.)

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Playing Hookie

Today Jack and I played hookie!  I didn't work on a single bit of furniture, and he didn't go to a single second of school.  It was awesome, a perfect little mother-son date for the day!

I've been needing to take him in for his first dentist appointment for like a year now, but the thought of having to entertain Sarah for an hour and a half while there wasn't too appealing.  So now that she's in MDO two days a week, I scheduled his appointment for a day while she was at school.  And he has been asking for SO long to go to the Houston Museum of Natural Science to see the new Paleontology exhibit.  Again, something that didn't sound too appealing with Sarah since it's a "real" museum and doesn't have the word "children's" in the title.  SO, what a better day to take him than today, right after the dentist.  And even BETTER, the museum has a McDonalds in it!!  Heaven for a little boy who's parents aren't too keen on eating at McDonalds and prefer Chick Fil A.  Put all this in a blender and you get one perfect morning spent just the two of us.

There were some things about the museum that bugged me a little, given that it was a science museum. Like the use now of MYA instead of BC ("Million Years Ago" rather than "Before Christ") and the "fact" that humans have evolved from ape-like creatures, rather than treating it like a theory.  But those were things that only I noticed of course, and we had a blast today.  Here are a few pictures I snapped on my phone.

You should have seen this dino-lover in this place.  He held my hand and drug me around the entire exhibit (twice).  He knew a lot of their names already, and would point out fossils and mummys.  This kid is way smart.  Here he is with a T Rex and a Stegosaurus.




After our first round in the exhibit, we went out to the McDonalds.  He wanted a "huge" burger, so I ordered us both a quarter pounder meal.  He ate every last bite.  No messin around when it comes to food!


Downstairs in the museum they had a little meteorology section, with a blue screen where you could do a Local 2 weather forecast.  It was so cute!  You saw him on the little screen with the radar behind him and everything!



We also saw both Texas and African wildlife exhibits, a huge pendulum that hung from the third story ceiling, and a chemistry demonstration where a cooky old man in a tie-died lab coat did little experiments for the kids to watch.  There are a couple he wants to try now that we're at home.  My budding little scientist....love this little guy!

So next on the agenda, toddler time at the library while big brother is at school.  LOVE this age!! (Both theirs and mine haha!)


No comments: