But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them--yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me.

1 Cor 15:10 (Emphasis mine. As always.)

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Annoyances

I get totally annoyed by A LOT of things, and as I've gotten older I feel like I do a fairly good job of keeping most of those things to  myself-or at least between me and a few friends/family who won't judge me for my annoyances.  Ha!  But there is one that really aggravates me that I have to put out there.  Most of you will probably think it's pretty silly, but there are a few of you who will identify perfectly with what I'm saying.  This rant is for you.

So for the summer, about 3 months now, I've had french tip solar nails.  I LOVE having my nails done.  It's this little pleasure of mine, and for whatever reason makes me feel so feminine and pretty.  Not to mention it guarantees that for an hour every three weeks I will be completely alone.  But ever since starting my business, they have been totally impractical.  I have to wear gloves when I sand so I don't scratch them, and they effect the way I can carry furniture.....I can't grip quite as well.  So today, rather than getting a refill, I went ahead and had them soaked off.  Now here comes the annoyance.  The lady that is about to file the gunk off my nails takes a not-so-sly peek under the table, wrinkles up her nose, and in her accent says: "......You want pedicure too?"

Now in all fairness, my toenails do look totally awful.  But, although I adore having my nails done, I only get pedicures once or twice a year because I am incredibly ticklish.  So ticklish that I've actually had a pedicurist ask me before if I'm going to kick her.  So my pedis are usually reserved for special times with girlfriends, and this weekend is my annual girl's weekend with my BFF Kelly, who has already made us pedi appointments for Saturday at 3:15.  So NO lady at Image Nails, I do NOT want a pedicure.  But thank you for pointing out the scruffiness that is my toenail polish.  So I should have asked her: "Do you want this?"



This seems to happen a lot at the mall though.  One year I was in the mall picking out a swimsuit.  I was probably 26.  Man at the kiosk asks:  "Ma'am, can I ask what kind of cream you use on your under eye circles?"  Um, hello!  I'm 26, of course I don't use cream on my under eye circles.  But thank you so very much for pointing out that I have them.

Seriously though.  Was he right?  Do I look like this?:





Or, the more typical one:  "Ma'am, do you want your hair to look fabulous?"   ...as they wave an incredibly hot hair straightener/curling iron in your face.  Hmmm, no, I don't want to sit in the middle of a crowded mall and have my hair straightened while my two preschoolers run amuck all around this kiosk.  Seriously, do they even look closely enough to notice that I have two kids with me?  And thanks for pointing out that my hair does not currently look fabulous.  But trust me, usually it looks like this:



So I guess my point is this:  Do we really need to make women feel bad about a certain part of their appearance to sell a product?  It's not like we don't feel bad about certain body parts already, without the help of an insensitive sales person at the mall.

Thank you.  Rant over.

2 comments: